Good Question

Saturday 9: G.I. Blues (1960) 
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.  

Memorial Day is a federal holiday that honors men and women who served and died in the United States Armed Forces. We want to make sure that message is not lost this weekend.

1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)



No I am not. My father did  participate in WWII.
2) In this song, Elvis sings about marching, and complains that the Army doesn't give Purple Hearts for fallen arches. Do you have any aches or pains to report this morning?  



Indeed I did hit a 30000 steps milestone on my fitbit while at my son's place. I'll be sore for a minute until I realize that I can eat more pizza as a result.  :)


3) This song is from the 1960 film of the same name. In the movie, Elvis is in The 32nd Armor Regiment of the United States Army. That's the same regiment he served with in real life. He had the 32nd written into the script as a shout-out to the soldiers he came to know, but realized he'd likely never see again. Is there an old friend you're missing this weekend? 



Maybe the dog that I just lost..



4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? 

Ironic since the temp is in the 90's in the midwest this weekend.

Does wine and cheese count? I've never answered that before but, today I will. Oh and throw in some crackers too.

5) Let's celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What's your favorite flavor? Cone or cup?


Halo Ice Cream by the pint please.



5) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you applied mosquito repellent? 
Just last week as a matter of fact. I had gotten two mosquito bites. WTH. I do plan on making some homemade repellent with essential oils in the near future.


7) Or swam?

I guess two years ago since I was on crutches all last summer.
8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?  

Lordy I hope so.




9) Random question: How do you define success? 


Good question. 
So much of it has to do with having a good conscience about things. Not just how much money you have made or titles that you have accumulated. For example, consider a bully who may have made a bit of money but, lies, is mean to others,  and constantly puts himself first. Would you consider that person to be successful even though they have become a powerful leader?  


Comments

Stacy said…
Nice going on the steps! I didn't think of it that way, but our dogs are our friends, for sure. So, I guess I'm missing the big guy we said goodbye to in December.
The Gal Herself said…
I recall a rather controversial article by Dick Cavett, written years ago, after his wife of many decades died. He was ruminating about loss and grief, and said in some ways, losing his dog at about the same time was more painful. He loved his wife, but she battled substance abuse and he suffered from depression, so their reunion was rocky -- with very bad times as well as good. He's proud that he and his wife stuck it out, but went on to say there were no such complications in his life with that dog. Just dependable, unconditional love. Readers sent brutal letters to the editor about that column, but I understood it.

Halo ice cream? Must investigate!
Diana_CT said…
Wine and cheese counts. Sometimes I make a wine cooler (wine, club soda, and fruit)
I am Harriet said…
There is something to be said about that article. You must try Halo but, try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting as there may be malitol in it. :)
I am Harriet said…
I am sure that you are. :)
CountryDew said…
The answer to your question in no. 9 is "no."
Kwizgiver said…
I tried Halo and didn't care for it. I have friends who swear by it.
I say No to 9, as well! What a great way to answer this one.

That is a LOT of steps. Congrats!
I'm going to start this as soon as I'm feeling mentally fit again. Right now the knitting is taking the most time, and it's lovely... but it's a lot of sitting.

Popular Posts